IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR PATIENTS: Availability of the flu vaccination this autumn
We are aware and understand that the ongoing concerns about COVID-19 may mean that there is an increase in demand for the flu vaccination this year. We will be working hard to ensure that those individuals that are the most at risk from flu and most vulnerable to COVID-19 are prioritised for vaccination to fully protect them this winter.
We will start delivering flu vaccination services from October 2020 before the beginning of autumn, in line with NHS guidance.
We will shortly be in touch with more details about how to get your FREE flu vaccine this year.
Those eligible for a flu vaccination this year are as follows:
- those aged 65 and over as at 31st March 2021;
- those aged 6 months to under 65 years in clinical risk groups as at 31st March 2021;
- those who are pregnant;
- all children aged 2 - 11 as at 31st August 2020 (please note: children aged 2 - 3 will be offered a nasal spray by their GP Surgery and children aged 4– 11 will be offered the nasal spray vaccination at their school);
- whilst shielding formally ended on 1st August, those that were on the shielding list (see government guidance) and household contacts, are eligible for the flu vaccine this year;
- those in long-stay residential care homes or another long-stay care facility;
- those with a weakened immune system and household contacts;
- frontline health staff, and social care staff employed by a registered residential care/nursing home, registered domiciliary care provider, or a voluntary managed hospice provider.
- all patients aged 50 - 64*;
*Please note that patients aged 50-64 will not be vaccinated until November and December, providing there is sufficient vaccine and no appointments will be offered for this age group until then. This is to ensure that those who are most at risk are vaccinated first. If you are aged 50-64 and you are in one of the other groups which are eligible for the flu vaccination, for example, you have a health condition which puts you at risk from the flu, you will be invited earlier.
Published: Aug 5, 2020